Monday, August 29, 2011

What has happened....?

My wife and I went on a date on Saturday.  We got some dinner and then went to walk around the bookstore and do some window shopping.  The time has arrived when we are basically disgusted by the movies being vomited by Hollywood, so the movies are out; too much money, too much gore, too little class, and no plot creativity or character development.

So we went to the bookstore (a popular national chain that also serves coffee from another popular national chain).  This store has a music section, so I did some browsing.  It was depressing to see what a 'music section' is and what the music scene has become.

Remember when all we did was go to the music store and hang out?  I remember this place called Hastings Music in Amarillo.  It was in this little converted building on the corner.  All the windows were blocked up with the posters and the back of the cassette racks.  When you went in you had to slip between all the aisles of records and cassette racks.  The lighting was low and the music was always different and loud.  You could find all kinds of music in all kinds of forms and when you bought an album you were buying it for the one, maybe two, songs that you had heard on the radio.  There wasn't a preview  headphone area; you couldn't listen to a little piece of each song before your purchase.  That was the fun.  You didn't know what you would get.  I remember buying the Def Leppard album 'Hysteria' for one song...you know which one...and I was blown away by the remainder of the album.

Not anymore.  Now, the music section SUCKS!  Everything is available to 'sample' before buying.  It is bright and open and airy...BLAHGHGH!  The guys behind the counter didn't choose the music being played, that was done by some jackass at corporate.  In fact, this kid didn't look like he knew Jazz from Country from Acid Rock.  He had never heard of the Talking Heads.  I miss the music store.  I miss the loud music chosen by the guy behind the counter who knew all the local bands and the upcoming scene.  I miss the excitement and the mystery.

Maybe I should just open a real music store...I wonder if anyone would come.  I wonder if I could find somebody that knew the scene and would be able to tap in to the energy that use to exist in the music store.  I wonder.

No comments:

Post a Comment